I am fascinated by the relationship between time and the earth. Time builds up and then erodes the land; the land resists and then acquiesces. These transformations reflect creative forces beyond the scope of human endeavor. My passion is to try to convey the spirit and beauty of this dynamic, and to share the feelings of timelessness and wonder that it inspires in me. I view my paintings as doorways through time, interpretations of the past as revealed by the land.
My painting practice echoes these natural processes. I use oil paint and cold wax medium to establish successive layers of abstract composition, each of which interprets a theme suggested by time and the land. A given layer might be about fossils, or rivers, or wind. I choose colors, textures, and shapes that complement the theme: the blues of the sky, the roughness of stone, the intricacy of a shrimp skeleton. The layers build up the way the land builds up, and they also are eroded, the way land is eroded, through dissolving or abrading. In the end, the parts come together as a whole, but always with the subtleties and mysteries of the hidden layers supporting and deepening the finished surface.
I also create monotypes and monoprints, a very different process, but with the same set of intentions. Through the use of multiple plates for each print, I seek to suggest the same depths and complexities as in cold wax, but with the particular beauty that comes from the impression of ink into paper.
Painting for me is a way of renewing and exploring my connection to and feeling for the land. I am naturally drawn to abstraction, and I have a love for experimentation, both of which are supported by the materials and the methods that I use. The subject that I address is vast, and is a challenge in itself. Finding a way to express my responses to it in tangible form presents opportunities for curiosity and exploration that are equally unending.
- Layers & Plates Monotype/Monoprint Workshops, Timberwick Studios, Santa Fe, NM
- Oil & Cold Wax Workshops, Rebecca Crowell, Levels I, II, & Masters
- Studio Group Workshops, Helper, UT
- Studio Art Certificate Program, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA
- PhD, Communication, Stanford University
- MLS, Library Science, UC Berkeley
- MA, Spanish, Middlebury College
Juried Shows & Awards, Residencies
- Artist Residency, Centre d’Art i Natura, Farrera, Spain, 2013
- 1st Annual Kane County Artists Exhibition, Thunderbird Foundation for the Arts, Mt. Carmel, UT, 2008
- 84th Annual Spring Salon, Springville Museum of Art, Springville, UT, 2008
- Purchase Award, 64th Annual Cedar City Art Committee Exhibition, Braithwaite Fine Arts Gallery, Cedar City, UT, 2007
- Honorable Mention, Everett Ruess Plein Air Painting Competition, Escalante, UT, 2004
- Solo exhibition, Earthbound, Gallery 24, Torrey, UT, 2015
- Annual Honoring Utah Artists exhibition, Alpine Art, Salt Lake City, UT, 2012-2014
- Solo exhibition, Gallery 24, Torrey, UT, 2010
- Two-person exhibition, Gallery 24, Torrey, UT, 2008
- Solo exhibition, Anasazi State Park Museum, Boulder, UT, 2007
- Emerging Artists exhibition, Helper Arts Festival, Helper UT, 2006
- Two-person exhibition, Anasazi State Park Museum, Boulder, UT, 2006